Universal Declaration of the Rights of Animals
Proclaimed on October 15, 1978
International League for Animal Rights
Whereas all animals have rights.
Whereas disregard and contempt of the rights of animals have resulted and continue to result in crimes by man against nature and against animals.
Whereas recognition by the human species of the right to existence of other animal species is the foundation of the co-existence of species throughout the world.
Whereas genocide has been perpetrated by man on animals and the threat of genocide continues.
Whereas respect for animals is linked to the respect of man for man.
Whereas from childhood man should be taught to observe, understand, respect and love animals.
It is hereby proclaimed
Article 1: All animals are born with an equal claim on life and the same
Article 2 : (1) All animals are entitled to respect.
(2) Man as an animal species shall not arrogate to himself the right to
exterminate or inhumanly exploit other animals. It is his duty to use his
knowledge for the welfare of animals.
(3) All animal have the right to the attention, care and protection of men.
Article 3: No animals shall be ill treated or be subjected to cruel acts.
Article 4: All wild animals have the right to liberty in their natural
whether land, air or water.
Article 5: (1) Animals of species living traditionally in a human
environment have the
right to live and grow at the rhythm and under the conditions of life and
freedom peculiar to their species.
(2) Any interference by man with this rhythm or these conditions for
purposes of gain is an infringement of their right.
Article 6: (1) All companion animals have the right to complete their natural life span.
(2) Abandonment of an animal is a cruel and degrading act.
Article 7: All working animals are entitled to a reasonable limitation of
and intensity of their work, to the necessary nourishment and to rest.
Article 8: (1) Animal experimentation involving physical suffering is
with the rights of animals, whether it be for scientific, medical, commercial
or any other form of research.
(2) Replacement methods must be developed. Alternative to animal
experimentation should be prepared.
Article 9: (1) No animal shall be exploited for the amusement of man.
(2) Exhibitions and spectacles involving animals are incompatible with their
Article 10: Any act involving slaughtering of the animal, is biocide,
that is, a crime
against the life.
Article 11: (1) Any act involving mass killing of wild animals is
genocide, that is, a
crime against the species.
(2) Pollution or destruction of the natural environment leads to genocide.
Article 12: (1) Dead animals shall be treated with respect.
(2) Scenes of violence involving animals shall be banned from cinema and
television except for human education.
Article 13: (1) Representatives of movements that defend animalsí rights
should have an
effective voice at all levels of government.
(2) The rights of animals, like human rights should enjoy the protection of
<<Back <<< Next >> Top of the Page